Effective problem-solvers use a systematic approach, allowing them to break down difficult problems into smaller, more manageable parts.
Problem solving involves critical thinking, decision-making, creativity, and information processing. Effective problem-solvers use a systematic approach that allows them to break down difficult problems into smaller, more manageable parts.
Problem-solving skills can help you determine the source of a problem and find an effective solution.
There are four steps involved with problem solving:
There are many strategies involved with the problem solving process:
- Trial and Error is one of the most commonly used strategies- trying different solutions until finding the one that works in the given situation.
- Heuristics Problem-Solving with a process or method.
- Insight Problem-Solving - often referred to as “Gut instincts”- going with your intuition, internal feelings.
- Working Backward - often used in mathematics- working back from the desired goal
- Means-End Analysis - helping you get from one point to another by examining/coming up with solutions to the obstacles.
Problem-solving helps to identify and exploit opportunities in the environment thereby giving some control over the future. Problem solving skills and the problem-solving process are a critical part of daily life.
It is a mental process which involves discovering, analyzing, and solving problems.
- Identify the Problem - while this seems obvious it is often an overlooked step.
- Define the Problem - fully address the problem/set goals for what areas of the problem that will be addressed.
- Forming a Strategy - potential solutions/coming up with ideas/possibilities.
- Organizing Information - what do you know about the problem/what you do not know.
- Allocation Resources - determine the priority-what resources will be needed.
- Monitoring Progress - putting your plan into action and assessing which solution is most effective.
- Evaluating the Results - When the solution has been reached evaluate the results to determine is it the best solution to the problem.
Ready to Talk?
At CHE Behavioral Services, we understand the challenges of living with anxiety, stress, depression and worry. We are committed to helping those who are struggling. We offer online talk therapy and medication management designed to help people manage their symptoms and improve their quality of life. Our licensed mental health professionals work with clients to create personalized treatment plans that meet their unique needs and goals.
For more information about talk therapy at CHE, please call 888-515-3834. We are ready to talk and ready to listen.
5 Effective Problem solving strategies. Saya DesMarais, MSW. Psych Central.
Overview of the problem solving Mental Process. Kendra Cherry, MSED. VeryWellMind.
Michelle Haidacher, LCSW
CHE Quality Assurance Associate